Thursday, January 22, 2009

Metallica January 2009

How does one begin to explain the greatness of a Metallica concert? I could never do it justice but I am going to try...and with minimal exclamation marks as possible!!!

Saturday night we arrived at the Wachovia Center just in time to see my favorite metal band Machine Head slay the stage. I think I was the only one there wearing a MH shirt, but I came and represented. They brought the energy as always. The lead guitarist Phil even came on stage wearing a Philadelphia Flyers shirt!



If I can remember correctly this was their set list:
  1. Clenching the Fists of Dissent
  2. Imperium
  3. Beautiful Mourning
  4. Hallowed be thy Name (Iron Maiden cover)
  5. Halo
  6. Davidian

The set list was great but of course I was a little disappointed because the set was so short but I guess that's what happens when you are making way for Metallica to take stage...



I was expecting the usual older, grungy, drunken metalhead headbanger that makes up most of the fan base but I was pleasantly was surprised because the crowd was made up of mostly kids, middle school aged I would say. A lot of kids out with Dad too. I think that is so neat, the bonding of two generations especially at a Metallica concert.

Every time I see a band for a second or third time I think "how are they going to top the last tour". Well let me tell you...they TOPPED it in a BIG way. They opened up the night with a laser light/fire show. (we had this on camera but now its missing, sorry!) The stadium was simply blown away.

The stage setup was the round as usual but the neat thing they did this time was the giant coffins that held all of the lighting equipment. The coffins came down and rotated at all different angles which was a really cool effect, especially because there were camera men hanging from them!

Metallica played for over two straight hours, this was the set list;
  1. That Was Just Your Life
  2. The End Of The Line
  3. Creeping Death
  4. Ride the Lightning
  5. One
  6. Broken, Beat And Scarred
  7. Cyanide
  8. Sad But True
  9. The Unforgiven
  10. All Nightmare Long
  11. The Day That Never Comes
  12. Master Of Puppets
  13. Blackened
  14. Nothing Else Matters
  15. Enter Sandman
  16. Last Caress (Misfits cover)
  17. Whiplash
  18. Seek and Destroy

Here is video of ONE...if you have never heard this song I strongly suggest you download it.


(The video cuts out just as the flames from the center of the speakers start flaring up in green, orange and red. That's what we get for not putting the larger memory in the camera!)

Towards the end of the show James (who was sporting a hawk) stops the show. He asks for the house lights to be turned on, and he starts saying that today was a special girls birthday. Her daddy isn't always around, he goes on tour a lot. So for her seventh birthday she got to come out to work with daddy. So out comes this little girl, Marcella and the entire arena sang Happy Birthday Marcella. I almost had tears in my eyes, it was so sweet.

This led to the last song, Seek and Destroy, they played it with the lights on as a ton of huge black Metallica beach balls just dropped from the ceiling like it was New Years Eve. Awesome! All the kids were up on stage kicking the balls around, it was so funny! Here is a picture and a short video...




Yes, it is definitely safe to say that Metallica has once again outdone themselves. I am so fortunate to have been able to see this legendary band not once, not twice but three times! If you ever get the chance, GO! You don't have to be a metal head to enjoy this show...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've done them justice! Your alluringly specific descriptions are almost as exciting as being there. And yes...i'll take the heat for not bring the larger memory card....DOH!

The Running Golfer said...

Great post, you did a really good job in describing the evening!

So glad you had fun!

Heather Nicole said...

yay! hubs first comment :)

Thanks Faf, it was a great evening!

Karen Owens said...

Heather -- you seriously crack me up! Who would know by taking a look at you that you were such a metal head!

I love it!

Kevin said...

Good times - there is something about seeing a live show that is exhilarating.

Heather Nicole said...

hehe, I know Karen...

Hey Kevin, Happy Friday! I agree with you

Hayley said...

Love Metallica..much to my husbands disgust..well not really, lets just say he is not there greatest fan.
Looks like it was awesome!

Anonymous said...

It was truly an excellent show!!!!

Lissa said...

I have to say that your blog has me SOLD on going to their Atlanta show on October 4th! I was going back and forth about it. Unsure about the stage setup (I was worried we'd get there and be looking at the backs of their heads all night) but I can see that we'll be entertained! (Not to mention I found pretty awesome seats.)

Thanks for this!