Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dreaming



Have you ever wondered what your dreams or nightmares mean? Are they predicting something? What is going on in your mind while your sleeping?

I have had this reoccurring nightmare throughout my life. It started as a teenager and has continued to this very day. It wakes me up shaking and screaming inside but I am unable to physically scream, like I'm paralyzed.

It is always about a tornado. I am always at my parents house where there is acres upon acres of flat land and open sky. I look out the window and see this giant tornado coming right for the house. I go to the basement to hide. But no place is safe, I keep moving around from hiding spot to hiding spot but for some reason I cant stay in that spot. Or I am running from it outside and there is no end. I keep running - the tornado keeps following me. Sometimes I am running around frantically trying to get to my husband. He is either at our house and I cant get to him or I cant find him. Every attempt to find him fails - I try to dial on the phone but I cant remember the number etc. etc. Eventually I wake up scared to death.

Here is what I found out about this nightmare and its meaning;

You're most likely feeling overwhelmed by an endless to-do list, mounting responsibilities or a constant stream of bad news. If you're trying to save others, it may be because you feel responsible for their misfortune in some way, or feel the need to fix problems that aren't really yours. Until cloning is an option, prioritize: Before bed, make a to-do list and pick one thing you're going to focus on the next day; the rest will have to wait.

Arthur Nezu, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Drexel University in Philadelphia advises spending 15 minutes with your list coming up with alternate ways of crossing off the tasks. Can you send out the laundry and order a gift online instead of hitting the mall? By delegating and making small compromises, you'll be able to focus on the task at hand rather than what's waiting in the wings.

After reading this it makes complete sense. I can completely relate this to my personality and my controlling ways. I am a very organized person, I like everything to be done and done right. This includes taking care of my husband. I do our bills and budgeting and often take care of any issues that come up. Lately I have been a bit better about delegating tasks to him - although sometimes this ends up giving me a headache anyway b/c somethings are better off done by me.
But I digress - I can be better about. I am just glad to have gotten an answer to my nightmare!

Do you have any reoccurring dreams or nightmares? Please share!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hey Heather! This is an interesting post and YES I did have three recurring vivid dreams. Each during diff ages. It's too long to go into now but I looked each of them up on DREAMMOODS.COM and I completely understand why I had them because each dream had to do with what was going on in my life during that time. Kinda weird how your mind portrays diff situations and emotions you're feeling at that time, huh? Anyway, love ya and love your new haircut! Happy Easter!